Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Girl-One With The Animals


Quincey has an amazing talent with animals. From the time she was small she was connecting with animals. She shocked me when she was three or four (I can't remember which) and she would catch wild birds in our backyard in Arizona. She would take a blanket outside and walk around following the birds. When she was close enough she would throw the blanket over the bird and then grab the bird and hold it until she was ready to release it again. I also remember a time when we lived in Utah and I opened the basement door to hear tiny little squeeking sounds at my feet. Well, I jumped and screamed in fright and ran for the other side of the room. Quincey jumped up and ran straight FOR the squeeking sounds. She quickly picked up the tiny mouse and to my horror explained to me that, "Mommy, it's just a baby!" She has had what seems like hundreds of pets which include, birds, fish, gerbils, bunnies, goats, a dog, chickens, ducks (wild and from the pet store), wild turtles, frogs and tad poles. A few pets that are on her wish list are donkeys, ponies, horses, pigs and peacocks. I have been impressed by how she takes total resposibilty for her pets and I don't have to tell her to take care of them. Every night she goes out into the dark to care for her chickens and goats and in the morning before school, when it is cold and dark she goes out again. It is things like this that tell me, one day she will be a marvelous Mother.