Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Our one .....and only dog- DEACON


This is the one dog that we have had in our married life. All right, I am about to say it. Here goes.... I don't like dogs. I'm sure that some people might think that I have just spoken words that will take away any hopes for me to ever go to heaven. I will take that chance. I never had a dog growing up. My husband had many. He tried for years convincing me that we needed one. I finally backed down and was truly open to see if I would like/love a dog. I was open to the possibilities. We found this beautiful male beagle at the Humane Society. He could not have been cuter. We named him Deacon. My one rule was that he must stay out in the backyard. The challenge started when I was the only one who would enforce this rule. Deacon would do anything to get into the house. Then we learned that Beagles like to run away. More like-they are obsessed with it! Any time he could, he would dart and be gone in seconds. His collar with our phone number saved him many times. He also had a way of ruining anything of value on our backyard. At the time we had some pet chickens and he would eye them every now and then when we were in the backyard. Then one day, we were gone and we came home to find all of our chickens massacred, laying all over the yard. It was a sad day. Then we started getting complaints from the neighbors on how loud he was. This was all that I needed. We put an add in the paper and he was gone within days. All in all we had Deacon for just over a year. I gave it a good go. That was the one time that we owned a dog. We are going to stick with the goats, chickens and cats (three animals that dogs like to attack). I truly love those animals. They are sweet and easy. That was my two cents about dogs.